DIY Fall Flowering Patio Pumpkins
How can you celebrate the changing of the seasons in a unique way? Focus on nontraditional colors! Long-lasting, cold-hearty mums come in hot pink, burgundy, purple and red. Pumpkins come in classy whites and dusty blues and greens as well.
You Will Need:
- Pink potted mums
- White pumpkin (one for each pot of flowers)
- Potting soil
- Metal spoon for hollowing pumpkin
- Knife for cutting top of pumpkin
For this project, we suggest a chic pink and white combination.
- Choose a white pumpkin and a pot of pink mums of similar size, as the pumpkin will be the planter.
- Cut around the stem in a circular or hexagonal shape, sized such that you can fit the root ball of the mum plant through it.
- Use the spoon to hollow out the inside of the pumpkin.
- Take the mum out of the plastic pot and place roots into the hollowed pumpkin, then tuck the plant in with more soil.
- Finally, water the mums.
This is an easy afternoon project that welcomes fall to your doorstep with a non-traditional pop of color.