Cider Mustard Brisket
The key to making a tough cut of meat like brisket is cooking it low and slow in a moist environment. Here, hard cider adds not only moisture but a pleasant flavor that pairs perfectly with traditional holiday side dishes.
Serves: 10Prep: 10 minutesCook: 4 hoursTotal: 4 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- 5 pounds beef brisket, trim excess fat
- 4 tbsp. whole grain mustard
- 12 oz. hard apple cider
- Heat oven to 325°F. In a small bowl mix together salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Coat brisket with mustard and generously season with salt mixture.
- Pour hard cider into a 6-quart or larger Dutch oven or a roasting pan. Add brisket; cover with pot lid or roasting pan tightly with foil.
- Roast in the oven 3½-4 hours or until tender.
- Increase oven temperature to 375°F; remove cover. Roast an additional 30 minutes until top is browned.
- Allow brisket to cool 15 minutes before slicing against the grain.
- Refrigerate leftovers.