Gingerbread Bundt Cake with Eggnog Cream Cheese Glaze
Spicy gingerbread cake is drizzled with a tangy eggnog cream cheese glaze.
Serves: 8Prep: 20 minutesCook: 1 hourTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 teaspoons Kroger® Ground Ginger
- 3 teaspoons Kroger® Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Kroger® Ground Cloves
- 1 teaspoon Kroger® Ground Nutmeg
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 package (4 oz.) Kroger® Original Cream Cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup eggnog, more as needed
- 2 teaspoons bourbon, optional
- Stir shortening to soften. With a mixer, gradually add sugar and cream until light and fluffy. Add eggs and molasses, beating thoroughly.
- Combine flour, salt, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg in a large bowl, mixing completely.
- Add dry mixture into the shortening in thirds. Add boiling water after each addition of dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Heavily spray and flour a 10-cup bundt pan. Use a rubber spatula to press the batter into all of the crevices of the bundt pan.
- Place on a sheet pan, to avoid any drips, and bake for 40 minutes to an hour, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove cake pan from the sheet pan and place on cooling rack. Run a thin sharp knife around the edges of the cake to loosen it. Let cool 10 minutes.
- Cover the bundt pan with a plate big enough to fit the cake. Carefully invert the pan, keeping a firm hand on the bottom of the plate and the top of the bundt pan. Gently tap the plate on the counter if the cake resists popping out. You will feel the cake drop once it fully releases onto the plate. Continue cooling until the cake is at room temperature.
- Soften the cream cheese with a mixer and add the powdered sugar, eggnog and brandy. Mix until combined. Add more eggnog as needed to get desired consistency. Drizzle over the cake and serve.