Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Pie
This scratch-made gluten- and grain-free pie might feel more delicate than pies made with gluten, but it can be pressed and patched back together and still remain tender, flaky and delicious.
Serves: 8Prep: 45 minutesCook: 50 minutesTotal: 1 hour 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 pound sweet potatoes
- 10 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup Simple Truth™ Finely Ground Almond Flour
- 3⁄4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 eggs, divided
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Poke sweet potatoes with fork. Microwave on high 5 to 6 minutes, until tender. Cut sweet potatoes open; transfer 1½ cups of sweet potato flesh to mixing bowl. Add ¼ cup butter to mixing bowl; mash until smooth. Allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut flour and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cut in remaining 6 tablespoons cold butter, until mixture resembles wet sand. Using a fork, incorporate 1 beaten egg.
- Work crust mixture into a flat disc. Place over a piece of parchment paper; cover with a second piece of parchment. Roll crust to a 12” circle. Remove top piece of parchment paper and use bottom piece to help transfer crust into 9” pie plate.
- Press crust into pan and flute edges. Refrigerate until filling is ready. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In bowl with sweet potato mash, add sugar, brown sugar, 2 remaining eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Stir to combine.
- Transfer potato mixture to pie crust; smooth top. Bake 45 to 55 minutes, until set in center. Cool completely. Refrigerate leftovers.