Maple-Roasted Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Sweet potatoes are roasted with maple syrup, cinnamon and orange juice before being pureed and used as the base for these tender cupcakes. Top them with a tangy cinnamon cream cheese frosting and delight your guests.
Serves: 12Prep: 15 minutesCook: 1 hour 5 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and sliced into ¼” thick rounds
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 Tbsp. Kroger® Ground Cinnamon
- 2 cups salted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Kroger® Ground Nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1 package (12 oz.) Kroger® Original Cream Cheese Spread, softened
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 orange, finely zested
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Combine sweet potato, maple syrup, water and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a baking pan. Roast in oven until tender, approximately 35 minutes. Purée in a food processor or blender, adding water as needed.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners, set aside.
- Cream ½ cup butter and sugars in a stand mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg and yolks one at a time, mixing until each one is incorporated. Add ½ cup sweet potato purée and mix until fluffy, about 1-2 minutes.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Set stand mixer to low and add the dry mixture in thirds, alternating with milk between each addition.
- Fill each muffin liner ¾ full and place cupcakes in the preheated oven. Immediately reduce the heat to 325°F and continue to bake for 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- Allow cupcakes to cool slightly and remove from pan to continue cooling on a wire rack.
- Add 1½ cups butter and cream cheese to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle. Mix until well combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add powdered sugar, vanilla and 1 tablespoon cinnamon. Mix until smooth.
- Place into a piping bag fit with an extra large drop flower tip and pipe onto completely cooled cupcakes. Garnish with finely zested orange zest if desired.