Mexican-inspired Grilled Salad
The slightly smoky flavor of grilled lettuce is an easy upgrade to any dish, but it’s particularly delicious in this Mexican-inspired salad with a mix of grilled and fresh vegetables and roasted pepitas.
Serves: 4Prep: 20 minutesCook: 10 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 5 tbsp. pepitas, divided
- 4 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 2 ears Olathe sweet corn, husks and silks discarded
- 8 green onions, trimmed
- 2 Simple Truth Organic™ Romaine Hearts, cut in half through root end
- 2 on-the-vine tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (15 oz.) Simple Truth Organic™ Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat grill to medium-high heat (400°F).
- In a blender, combine avocado, water, 1 tablespoon pepitas, lime juice and zest, salt, cumin and cayenne. Blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Place corn and green onions on the grill and cook 8-12 minutes, turning occasionally until corn is lightly charred and heated through and onions are tender and charred.
- Place romaine halves on grill until charred and slightly wilted, about 3-5 minutes.
- Carefully remove corn from cobs.
- To assemble salads, top grilled romaine and green onions with corn, tomatoes, beans and remaining 4 tablespoons pepitas. Spoon desired amount of avocado dressing over salads.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
- For even more flavor and crunch, toast the pepitas for the salad topping in a pan over medium to medium-high heat, shaking frequently, for 4-6 minutes or until lightly browned and puffed.