Paleo Cherry Ice Cream Brownies
These naturally sweetened, grain- and dairy-free layered ice cream dessert brownies are a welcome addition to any summer party.
Serves: 12Prep: 10 hoursCook: 20 minutesTotal: 10 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 can (13.5 oz.) coconut milk
- 11 tbsp. maple syrup, divided
- 1⁄4 tsp. xanthan gum
- 2 tsp. vanilla, divided
- 3⁄4 tsp. almond extract
- 3⁄4 cup Simple Truth™ Smooth Almond Butter
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder, divided
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup cherries, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup coconut oil, melted
- To prepare the ice cream layer, place 3 egg yolks in heat safe bowl. Beat with hand mixer until pale yellow and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
- In 3-quart saucepan over medium-low heat, whisk together coconut milk, 4 tablespoons maple syrup and xanthan gum. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to low boil and thickens enough to coat back of spoon, 5-8 minutes.
- Slowly whisk hot coconut milk mixture into egg yolks. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla and almond extract.
- Cover with plastic wrap pressed against surface of mixture. Refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight until well chilled.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 8”x8” baking pan with parchment paper, allowing a few inches to overhang sides; set aside.
- Whisk together almond butter, 6 tablespoons maple syrup, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla, ¼ cup cacao powder, baking soda and ¼ teaspoon salt. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until just set. Cool completely, then transfer pan to freezer.
- Transfer ice cream mixture into ice cream maker according to manufacture instructions. When mixture is soft-serve consistency, add cherries.
- Spread ice cream mixture over frozen brownies. Return to freezer at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, whisk together coconut oil, remaining ¼ cup cocoa powder and 1 tablespoon maple syrup. Pour over ice cream layer, spreading to evenly coat. Return to freezer at least 10 minutes to set.
- When ready to serve, let stand at room temperature about 10 minutes. Using parchment overhang, remove ice cream bars from pan.
- Dip thin, sharp-bladed knife into hot water before each cut.
- Freeze leftovers.