Prime Rib Roast
Need to impress? This recipe takes the mystery out of preparing one of the most elegant holiday dinners. Be sure to remember the horseradish.
Prep: 20 minutesCook: 3 hours 20 minutesTotal: 3 hours 40 minutes
- 1 prime rib beef roast, 8-9 pounds
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 shallots, minced
- 3 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1⁄3 cup red wine
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Place beef, fat side up, on a rimmed baking pan. Sprinkle with salt. Mix mustard and garlic together. Rub a layer on top of beef. Sprinkle pepper over mustard mixture. Roast beef for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325° F. Roast until meat thermometer inserted into center of beef registers 125° F for medium-rare, about 2 hours 45 minutes. Transfer roast to platter, tenting loosely with foil for 20 minutes.
- Pour off pan juices into a bowl, scraping up browned bits from pan. Set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet. Add shallots and sauté until tender. Add beef broth and wine. Boil until liquid is reduced, about 15 minutes. Add reserved pan juices. Serve roast with sauce.